– 1 to 2 cups breadcrumbs, as needed
– Dash of cayenne pepper
– 1 pound small shrimp, shelled
– 2 eggs, beaten in small bowl
– 2 to 4 cups vegetable oil, for frying
– With a slotted spoon, dip shrimp in the beaten eggs, then into the cayenne/breadcrumb mix. Toss with a fork to coat thoroughly.
– Pour 1 to 2 inches of vegetable oil into a deep pot and heat to 350°F. Add shrimp and cook until golden brown. Drain and eat like popcorn.
Serve popcorn shrimp along any bit of green or vegetable for a complete meal, such as French fries for a casual meal or sautéed greens for a Southern flare. Serve a dry and aromatic white wine with these salty crispers, like Riesling.